ABA methods are used to teach appropriate behaviour and necessary skills and they are used to reduce inappropriate behaviours and barriers to learning.
Using ABA methods we can teach:
- Basic skills that provide the foundational skills for learning, these are attending skills, joint attention and imitation.
- Academic skills such as literacy, maths, independent working and working in a group.
- Self help skills such as toilet training, dressing (doing up buttons/doing zips/putting coat on at school) tying shoe laces, brushing hair, brushing teeth.
- Communication skills: Teaching a child to talk, teaching PECS, teaching to use other modes of communication such as sign or alternative methods such as ipad apps.
- Social Skills.
- Play skills.
- Understanding and coping with emotions.
Using ABA methods we can also reduce:
- Problem behaviour
- Avoidant behaviour/anxiety